Wednesday, April 29, 2015

You've Got Mail

 
Look what came in the mail today! If there's any time I don't mind a trek out to the mailbox, to fend off bills from every direction and to wade through piles of accumulated junk mail, this would be it. Just look at the little lovelies that were waiting for me to get home today. This is Airmail by Moda. The Fat Quarter Shop Online was having a big sale on pre-cuts and I couldn't resist.
 
I just love getting things in the mail. I enjoy it so much I've sought out ways to make it happen- besides spending my whole paycheck and waiting for the spoils of my sprees to arrive in my mail room. We won't talk about the time I had all my Christmas orders delivered to work, hahaha! I think the whole mail room knew who I was after that fiasco.
 
Anyways, back to the topic. One really neat project I participate in is called Postcrossing. Its a free postcard exchange program that spans the globe. Seriously. Here's how it works:  You register your address and request an address to send to. This person doesn't know who they're getting a postcard from until they get it. You don't have to put your address on it, just a little registration code that's assigned at the time you are given the address. The recipient registers the postcard and this alerts the system that you are ready to get one in return. It works. And it's fun. I've received postcards from Japan, and Russia, and the Ukraine, and even little countries I didn't know existed. While it's not intended to be a pen-pal service I have developed a long term postal friend from China. If you like that sort of thing you may want to check it out and let me know what you think. : )
 
     Needless to say, when I ran across this fabric I had to have it!  We've got big plans...

 
My friend sent me a pattern from Fons and Porter's Easy Quilts, Spring 2014. It's called Forever in Blue Jeans by Maho Schwartz. While waiting to collect the 168 denim circles required to make it I've been tossing around some ideas for color. I was thinking red, white, and blue? Yeah. Something about the approaching Summer and blue jeans made me feel all patriotic like I was going to make a Fourth of July quilt. Mm hmm. Sure. My practical personality took over real quick and chucked that one out the window.
 
 
 
 
When I saw Airmail a quilt was born. It was perfect. Serendipity.
Don't you love when that happens?
   

No comments:

Post a Comment