Thursday, December 31, 2015

I am a Lucky One...


Sometimes people come around and remind you that there are good souls on this earth. We crafty folk seem to be the best of them. 

A good friend of mine always says "Out here (San Diego), the weather is warm and the people are cold. Out there (anywhere else), the weather is cold but the people are warm." I tend to agree with her. I can't wait to leave San Diego. 

Earlier this week I met an exception to that rule. I was on a local community website and put a request into the universe for fabric scraps. I'd like to start working on some charity quilts and am in need of some supplies. A local artist responded to my call for help and offered some scraps and remnants. So, ok. What do I do now? I've never done this before. It's kinda weird, but I couldn't pass up the offer. I agreed to meet after work. As the day goes on I'm starting to think I made a big mistake. San Diego's version of a storm is rolling in. The sky was like mud and it started to rain. My windshield wipers are shot. I don't know where I'm going. It's dark, I can't see.  I'm really starting to regret this... I find her house, which wasn't so bad, until I open my door to get out. This jackass and his car come barreling down the street and splash a ginormous puddle onto me and my open car door.... Yeah. We're not off to a good start here. 

So, She's waiting for me in the carport, bless her heart.  She walks me over to her storage area and, pulling a box out, offers me a HUGE sterilite bin full of fabric. I'm not talking scraps or remnants- I'm talking full yard cuts! "How much of this are you willing to part with?" I ask. "All of it."... Then she says " you wanna step inside? I wanna show you something," and I  start thinking of the Craig's List murders and I'm hearing the theme song to Friday the 13th play in my head. I'm picturing scenes from Bates Motel... I go anyway. What's wrong with me? She shows me this box on the floor. Oh god. What's in it? ... "You want it?" She says. Oh god. Do I say yes?  And then I see a label: Sewin' Machine. I can't believe my luck. It's brand new she says. Heck yeah! You bet I want it!

Good things happen to me. 😄

So I went home that night and played with all the pretty fabric. There were tropical prints 

And some upholstery fabric

And 

And a bucket of thread and four rotary cutters. 

Wow. Just wow. 



No comments:

Post a Comment